Landsvirkjun

Ljósafoss Power Station

The oldest power station in the River Sog is located near Ljósafoss by Lake Úlfljótsvatn’s outflow. The station is located on the river bank east of the waterfall, and the water runs through pipes to the station’s turbines and from there into the river below the waterfall.

Operation of the Ljósafoss station began in 1937, when two turbine units were installed with a combined capacity of 8.8 MW. The third turbine was installed in 1944 with 6.5 MW.

5,1 MW
Hydropower
5,1 MW
5,1 MW
Hydropower
5,1 MW
5,1 MW
Hydropower
5,1 MW
153 MW
16 MW
Installed capacity
2 x 4,4 og 1 x 6,5 MW
3 Francis turbines
105 GWh p.a.
Generation capacity
17 m
Head
1937
Brought online
1944
Refurbished

Catchment Area

Specifications

Ljósafossstöð
Fallhæð: 17 m
Afl: 15 MW
Hönnun: A.B.Berdal og J.P. Nissen
  Halgrim Thoresen
  Sigurður Guðmundsson
Helstu verktakar
Fyrri hluti: Höjgaard & Schultz, Danmörku
Seinni hluti: Almenna byggingafélagið
Framleiðendur hverfla og rafala (fyrri hluti)
Hverflar: Karlstads Mekaniska Werkstad, Svíþjóð
Rafalar: ASEA, Svíþjóð
Framleiðendur hverfla og rafala (Seinni hluti)
Hverflar: S. Morgan Smith Co, Bandaríkjunum
Rafalar: General Electric Int. Co, Bandaríkjunum